Panorama9 can be used to automatically discover devices that responds to SNMP queries. Supported devices include:
- NAS (Network Attached Storage)
- UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)
The Panorama9 system will use computers and servers that have the P9 Agent installed to locate, monitor and query SNMP enabled devices. Discovery tasks are automatically created by the Panorama9 cloud.
Here is what it takes to discover your devices
- Install P9 Agents on your devices (preferably servers). At least one P9 agent in each network range is needed for Network Map to be populated.
- There must be a Managed switch in your network. SNMP version 1 or 2c needs to be enabled on it.
- Define the IP ranges in your network we should scan for devices ("Manage" –> "IP ranges").
- If you've got a custom SNMP community string (which is recommended) navigate to"Monitoring" -> "Availability" and scroll down to "Peripherals" -> "SNMP community strings" and enter the string used.
Once configured allow up to one hour before new devices are detected.
Most devices with SNMP enabled are configured with default SNMP community string "public". The Panorama9 system will automatically try with "public", so no need to configure the Dashboard if you haven't changed the SNMP community string.
Once all the above is setup and defined your network map will look like something like this:
Click on the Network Map link under Quick links. Use Filters to filter your view of your network map.
You can navigate your way through the devices and get more information, remote control, shortcut to the device page etc.
My device is still not being detected, why?
Please make sure that you have followed the steps above. If you made any configuration changes it may take up to 24 hours before the Panorama9 system tries to re-discover your device (if last time failed, there is a cool-down period of 1 day before we try again).
You may also verify how your SNMP enabled device replies to SNMP queries. Building a SNMP query may seem complicated, but here is a guide that will quickly help you determine the problem.