The template system allows you to quickly replicate your settings across all of your clients, or even have separate sets depending on your setup.
A template is a collection of monitoring, integration, patching etc. settings. Templates allows you to change the settings across multiple clients.
The templates allows you to adjust the following settings:
- System tray/Menu bar
- P9 Connect
During provisioning of your Panorama9 MSP account, default templates was created:
- All monitors off
- All monitor on
- Zendesk Template (only if you've installed the Panorama9 App in your Zendesk portal)
The "All monitors off" template will disable all monitor settings when you apply it to clients. Vice versa will the "All monitors on" template enable all monitor settings when you apply it to clients. The template "Zendesk default" contains settings that will integrate clients with your Zendesk account and the inherent Zendesk settings.
To create a new template, select the "Templates" menu item and click "Create New Template".
Configuring monitoring settings
Included here are all monitoring settings that are generally valid for all clients. Some client-specific settings are not included, such as website monitoring.
Looking at the image above, notice that each setting has three options:
- On - forces the setting to on when assigned to the client.
- Off - forces the setting to off when assigned to the client.
- Unaffected - leaves the existing setting on the client untouched, regardless of what it is set to.
SNMP community string is a special case. If you have a habit of always giving your clients a special string, you can set it here. If you do not enter anything here, existing settings are left unaffected.
Configuring Zendesk settings
These are the settings that should be applied to clients to integrate them with your Zendesk account. Note if you've installed the Panorama9 App in Zendesk a template "Zendesk default" was created for you. Should you need multiple Zendesk configurations you can create a new template otherwise just edit the default template.
Dynamic requester name and requester email
For some fields it is helpful to be able to customize the value for each client. This is supported by inserting a special character sequence. Currently you can use these sequences in the "Requester name" and "Requester email" fields.
- %C resolves to current client name, unchanged
- %c resolves to current client name, lower cased and all other characters than basic alphanumeric (a to z, and 0-9) stripped.
- %D resolves to current client display name, unchanged. For clients without a display name, it is the equivalent of %C.
- %d resolves to current client display name, same rules as %c. If no display name, equivalent to %c.
- %P resolves to MSP name, unchanged
- %p resolves to MSP name, same rules as %c.
- %% resolves to a literal % (it is a valid character in the local-part of an email address)
Let us use an example. If you enter this into the "Requester email" field:
Once the template is applied to clients, it would become for that client only:
- The Wine Shop Inc. becomes: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LöcalProdücts+++(Organic!) becomes: email@example.com
Note that this is resolved at the time the template is applied to the client, so if you later change the client name, you must reapply the template before it takes effect.
Multiple clients to single Zendesk account
The field "Add customer id to" is required when using a single Zendesk account for multiple clients and you wish to use the Panorama9 app inside Zendesk (specifically if linking assets to tickets). This allow the Panorama9 App to search for asset across multiple clients Panorama9 Dashboards.
Apply the Zendesk template to clients
Once the template has been applied to your clients you can configure "Notifications" on each client and have issues detected by Panorama9 created in Zendesk.
Apply a template to clients
Mass apply copies the template to the client, overwriting (where applicable) the settings on each client. To assign, click the "Apply to clients" icon in the upper-right corner of the template screen.
You simply click on or off the clients that you want to apply the template to. Clients that have previously received this template will stay selected. You can also see the last template that each client received, if any.
As previously mentioned, once the template has been applied to a client, you are free to change the template or the settings themselves in the clients Panorama9 Dashboard.
Creating/Editing new clients and template history
It is also possible to assign a template directly from the edit client page.
The edit client page also allows you to see the last applied templates.