With the Desk.com integration, issues detected by Panorama9 can generate Desk.com cases, so you can easily manage who handles a case and track its progress. You may apply all the case management tools that Desk.com offers to any of the detected issues.
The Panorama9 system can
- Create cases
- Resolve cases
- Update cases with information about the user (the case customer) and the associated asset
The integration may be used as an addition to any of the Panorama9 notification abilities or be fully integrated so escalations or notifications are completely handled within Desk.com. Antivirus not installed on a machine? Automatically have Panorama9 create a case for follow up by your IT team. Need more memory for your laptop? Submit a case and hardware details about your machine are automatically included.
Before configuring Panorama9 you must create an "API application" in Desk.com. This is required when your Panorama9 account needs to authenticate itself communicating with Desk.com.
To create an "API Application" log into your Desk.com account and access the "Admin" section. Navigate to "Settings" -> "API" and click "Add API Application". Fill out the text fields, e.g. like
Once this setup is completed you will need to copy four keys into the Panorama9 dashboard to enable integration access.
These include the two consumer keys (consumer key and consumer secret) as seen here
and the two access tokens (token key and token secret). Get these by clicking "Your Access Token".
You will need a fourth thing from Desk.com to perform the setup inside Panorama9 and that is a Desk.com customer. The reason is that Desk.com require all cases to be created with a customer attached. More precisely you will need to supply an id of the customer you wish to appear to have created the cases coming from Panorama9.
It is possible to use the id of an existing customer in your Desk.com account or create a new customer specifically for use in the Panorama9 system.
You can get the customer id from the "Direct Customer Link" URL by opening the details page of a customer.
Enabling the Desk.com integration in Panorama9
The integration requires you to enable the "Desk.com extension" in Panorama9. Once logged into Panorama9, navigate to "Manage" -> "Extensions" -> "Desk.com".
Fill in the required information below and click "Save".
- Account name: Your Desk.com sub-domain registered when you sign up for Desk.com (ie https://myaccount.desk.com). Only enter the sub-domain, not the full URL (only "myaccount" from https://myaccount.desk.com).
- Consumer key: Paste here the consumer key from the Des.com API application created for the Panorama9 integration. See above.
- Consumer secret: Paste here the consumer secret from the Desk.com API application created for the Panorama9 integration. See above.
- Token key: Paste here the token key from the Desk.com API application created for the Panorama9 integration. See above.
- Token secret: Paste here the token key from the Desk.com API application created for the Panorama9 integration. See above.
- Customer id: Add here the id of the Desk.com customer that will appear as case initiator.
- User message to case: Enable this and any "User messages" sent through the Panorama9 agent's tray icon will result in creation of a Desk.com case.
- Asset info as note: Enable this if information about user and asset should be added as a comment on cases.
- Access token: API token you should insert if you want user and asset information added to cases not initiated from within Panorama9. The token is required when your Desk.com account needs to authenticate itself during communication with the Panorama9 dashboard.
Once the above is filled out, make sure that you test if the connection to Desk.com is working by clicking the "Test" button. If it fails, verify the information entered and retry the connection test. Once the Desk.com extension is enabled and working you are ready to proceed.
Creating Desk.com cases from issues detected by Panorama9
Panorama9 will detect issues within your IT environment and through the Desk.com integration you can quickly and fully control who should be notified and manage case escalation.
Once you have enabled the Desk.com extension, you can set up case creation through the Panorama9 notification settings and manage what type of issues that should result in a Desk.com case. Need to see if a machine is low on disk space? Antivirus not installed? Machine not reachable? Configure notifications for any of these issues to trigger the creation of a Desk.com case.
To do so, navigate to "Notifications" -> "Settings" in Panorama9 and create a new notification by clicking on the "+" icon. Fill out the following fields to create a new notification.
- Name: Description of the notification you are configuring.
- Email(s): Email address(es) that should be notified when the event is triggered.
- Desk.com extension
- Create case: When enabled a case will be created in Desk.com.
- Resolve case: Whether or not you wish to have the Desk.com case marked as resolved when Panorama9 detects the issue was fixed.
- Assign to: Desk.com agent the ticket should be assigned to.
The Desk.com ticket created by Panorama9 includes detailed information about the detected or resolved issue and provides useful links to the Panorama9 dashboard. You can furthermore use this information to create Desk.com Business Rules that apply different policies to different types of issues.
Information found in the subject field of the created case: [P9] device – area > category > issue type.
- Sample of subject: [P9] server01 - availability > servers > unreachable
- server01: The computer name of the affected device. If the issue isn't directly related to a device this part is empty, e.g. issues detected when checking your SMTP service.
- availability: Is the "Area" the issue is related to. It may be any of vulnerability, availability or compliance.
- servers: Is the "Category" the issue is related to. It may be any of the categories each Area covers.
- unreachable: The "Issue type". It may be any of the checks each Category covers.
Detailed information about the device and user assets related to the issue can optionally added to the case as a note. This is controlled by the "Asset info as comment" option in the Desk.com extension setup.
- The "Device name" experiencing an issue will be clearly visible together with its IPv4 address. Along with the issue description, this should allow for you to quickly take any necessary steps to correct the problem.
- The URLs for "Issue details", "User details", and "Device details" link to the Panorama9 dashboard and you can use them to get more information about the affected device. Panorama9 credentials are required to access the URL links, so any Desk.com cases may be distributed or otherwise disclosed to people you wish to inform about detected issues, without giving access to the Panorama9 dashboard.
Setting up Panorama9 User messages to create Desk.com cases
Computers that has the Panorama9 agent installed can be used to send "User Messages". Through the Panorama9 Tray icon (Status bar on Mac OS X) the user may select "I need help from IT" and write a text describing the type of issue that requires your help.
By default Panorama9 will forward "User Messages" to a specified email address, but you can configure the Desk.com extension so that a case is (also) created. Enable the "User message to ticket" check box under "Manage" -> "Extensions" -> "Desk.com" in the Panorama9 dashboard.
In addition to the message text, the case will include detailed information about the device and user that sent the message if the extension option "Asset info as comment" is enabled.
Appending user and device asset information to submitted Desk.com cases
When a user submits a support case through Desk.com requesting your IT help desk to troubleshoot and fix an issue, Panorama9 can automatically add detailed information about the computer and the user. You can configure Desk.com to pull the required information when new cases are created with the help of "Desk.com Business Rules".
By providing information such as the name of computer, IPv4 address, type of OS, and links to the Panorama9 dashboard for further details about a machine, you can help your support agents eliminate the task of gathering this information from a possibly non-technical user. This will help speed up the resolution time for issues and relieve frustrations on the end-user side as they won't need to find and provide the information that Panorama9 provides.
To enable that Panorama9 adds information about a user's asset you must create a "Custom Action" in Desk.com that calls Panorama9 upon specific case events. In the Desk.com "Admin" section navigate to "Apps" and select "Custom Action" -> "Install".
Chose "None" as "Authentication method". The authentication will be setup in the next step. Add "https://dashboard.panorama9.com" in the "URL" field.
After the "Custom Action" app has been created click "Add action" and fill out the form.
Choose a proper name for the action and choose "POST a string to a URL" as "Action Type".
In the "Appended URL path" enter
where desk.com_access_token is the "Access token" from the Desk.com extension found in Panorama9 dashboard in "Manage" -> "Extensions" -> "Desk.-com". That access token (OAuth) will authenticate you in the Panorama9 dashboard and allow use of the Panorama9 Desk.com API on your behalf.
Finally in the "Message to POST" enter
This is the information about the case used by Panorama9 to identify the case to be updated and will also supply the user email (customer email). The email address is used to look up the user in the Panorama9 dashboard. Information about the user and that persons associated device will then be added to the case as a note by the Panorama9 system.
If the user email is not collected automatically by the Panorama9 system (e.g. you are not using a Microsoft AD or the user has more than one email address), you can manually type in email addresses on a user in the dashboard and this way allow the user to be looked up.
Now you are ready to set up a "Desk.com Business Rule" that can use the action we just created. Navigate to "Cases" -> "Rules" in the "Admin" section.
Bear in mind that the custom action adding the note will be executed each time the rule is executed, so be careful of how you set of the rule.
Here we will create a rule that executes (once) when a new inbound case is created from email or phone.
Go to "Inbound interaction" and press "Add rule". Enter a fitting name and check off "Email" and "Phone call". After clicking "Add" you'll see this screen
Here we just let all incoming cases get the Panorama9 information note, but you can of cause add any conditions you like.
Under "Rule Actions" add an action and select "Trigger an App Action" and choose the Custom Action you created for Panorama9.
Enable the rule and save it and your incoming cases will start receiving Panarama9 information notes.
Note that this requires the user is using a computer with the Panorama9 agent installed.